• Optimum nutrient norms for Soil and plant in Acidlime (DRIS norms) were developed.
• Sampling technique in fruit crops like Phalsa was standardized,
• Nutrient uptake studies were conducted in guava and ber varieties.
• Salt tolerant varieties in Banana, Onion, Acidlime, Cabbage and Capsicum were identified.
• Heavy metal pollution was monitored in water, soil and vegetable samples in peri urban areas of Bangalore.
• Contamination of vegetables grown surrounding different tank areas with Cd, Pb, Cr and Ni was estimated.
• Awareness about heavy metal contamination of vegetables in peri urban areas was created among local farmers.
• Alternate cropping systems were suggested for heavt metal contaminated areas.
• Amaranthus, Palak, carrot and radish varieties have been screened and varieties with low heavy metal absorption capacity have been determined
• Effect of liming and FYM on Cd uptake in leafy and root vegetables was determined.
• Acidlime variety “Tenali” has been found to tolerate water salinity level upto 4.6 dSm-1.
• Acidlime variety “Tenali” is given in Tumkur district for onfarm trials.
Varalakshmi, L.R and Bhargava, B.S (1998). Plant nutrient status and leaf diagnostic norms for acid lime (Citrus aurantifolia). Indian J. Agril. Sci. 68 (7);375-376. Varalakshmi, L.R, Bhargava, B.S and Raturi, G.B (1999) . Nutrient status of some ber fruits. Scientific. Hort, 6: 9-17. Varalakshmi, L.R and Bhargava, B.S (1998). Nutrient status of guava (Psidium guajava. L. ) cv. Allahabad safeda fruits. Haryana J. Hort Sci. 27 (4)265-271. Mishra, P.K., Siva Prasad , S., Maheshwara Babu, B and L.R. Varalakshmi, (2001). Bentonite as an ameliorant in an Alfisol-A laboratory study. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering . 127 (2), March/April 2001:118-122 Varalakshmi, L. R., Srinivasamurthy, C.A and Bhaskar, M. (2005). Effect of integrated use of organic manures and inorganic fertilizers on organic carbon, available N, P and K in sustaining the productivity of Ground nut-Finger millet cropping system. J. Indian Soc. Soil Sci. 53 (3): 315-318. A.N. Ganeshamurthy and L.R. Varalakshmi (2008): Environmental risks associated with heavy metal contamination in soil, water and plants in urban and peri urban agriculture. Journal of Horticultural sciences 3(1): 1-29. Varalakshmi L.R. and A.N. Ganeshamurthy (2008): A market survey of vegetables in Bangalore for heavy metal contamination in relation to human health. Journal of Horticultural sciences 3(1): 75-78. L.R. Varalakshmi and A.N. Ganeshamurthy (2009): Effect of cadmium on plant biomass and cadmium accumulation in amaranthus (Amaranthus tricolor) cultivars Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 79 (10) : 861-864. L.R Varalakshmi and A. N. Ganeshamurthy. (2010). Heavymetal contamination of water bodies, soils and vegetables in peri urban areas of Bangalore city of India. In Proceedings of 19th world congress of Soil Science held at Brisbane, Australia from 1-6 August, 2010. L.R Varalakshmi and A. N. Ganeshamurthy. (2013). Phytotoxity of Cadmium in Radish (Raphanus sativus L.) and its Effect on Growth, Yield and Cadmium Uptake . Online copy has been published in Communications in soil science and Plant Analysis
#74, 3rd main, Best Country 3rd stage, Near Sambram collage, Hesaraghatta main road, Vidhyaranya pura Post, Bangalore-97.