Experience (No. of Years):
- Nucellar seedlings of ‘Vellaikulamban’ and ‘Olour’ mango varieties identified as potential rootstocks for intensive cultivation of Alphonso mango.
- Major nutrient requirements of rain-fed ‘Alphonso’ and ‘Totapuri’ mango trees worked out.
- Attempted diagnosis of nutrient needs of mango by Orchard Efficiency Analysis, DRIS and PCA approaches
- Unraveled basic factors governing tree vigour in mango
- Paclobutrazol application devised to regulate vegetative vigour, enhance flowering, hasten harvest and to get higher fruit yields in ‘Alphonso’ mango.
- Shoot polymorphism, shoot-tip abscission and sylleptic branching in Zizyphus mauritiana and Z. oenoplia elucidated in relation to canopy development and productivity of ber.
- Facilitated high density planting of ‘Alphonso’ mango integrating vigour regulating rootstock and paclobutrazol application, with more than fivefold increase in productivity during initial fifteen orchard years.
- Rejuvenation package worked out for aged ‘Alphonso’ mango trees.
- Investigated influence of organic nutrition on growth, yield and fruit quality of papaya
- Kurian RM, Murti GSR and Iyer CPA (1991), Abscissic acid levels in shoot apices in relation to tree vigour in mango. Gartenbauwissenschaft (Germany), 56(2): 84-86.
- Kurian RM and Iyer CPA (1992), Stem anatomical characters in relation to tree vigour in mango, Scientia Horticulturae (The Netherlands), 50: 245-253.
- Kurian RM, Murti GSR and Iyer CPA (1992), Changes in cytokinins levels in mango leaf extracts following soil drenches with paclobutrazol. Gartenbauwissenschaft (Germany), 57(2): 84-87.
- Kurian RM and Iyer CPA (1993), Chemical regulation of tree size in mango cv. Alphonso. I. Effects of growth retardants on vegetative growth and tree vigour. Journal of Horticultural Science (UK), 68 (3): 349-354.
- Kurian RM and Iyer CPA (1993), Chemical regulation of tree size in mango cv. Alphonso. II. Effects of growth retardants on flowering and fruit set. Journal of Horticultural Science (UK), 68 (3): 355-360.
- Kurian RM and Iyer CPA (1993), Chemical regulation of tree size in mango cv. Alphonso. III. Effects of growth retardants on yield and quality of fruits. Journal of Horticultural Science (UK), 68 (3): 361-364.
- Kurian RM, Iyer CPA and Murti GSR (1994), Total phenols of stem apical bud in relation to tree vigour in mango. Gartenbauwissenschaft (Germany), 59(6): 268-270.
- Kurian RM, Reddy VVP and Reddy YTN (1996), Growth, yield, fruit quality and leaf nutrient status of thirteen-year-old ‘Alphonso’ mango on eight rootstocks. Journal of Horticultural Science (UK), 71(2): 181-186.
- Kurian RM and Iyer CPA (1997), Contribution of morphological growth components towards canopy development in mango. Gartenbauwissenschaft (Germany), 62(5): 202-206.
- Kurian RM and Reddy YN (1999), Pattern of shoot growth in Zizyphus mauritiana and Z. oenoplia. Annals of Botany (UK), 84: 289-295.
- Book Chapters (Best 5)
- Kurian RM and Iyer CPA (1993), Investigations on tree size control in mango. Proceedings of the Sixth Kerala Science Congress, Department of Science and Technology, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum, 117-119.
- Kurian RM (1993), Agro-techniques for mango. Training Manual Series III Advanced Center for Training in Horticultural Production Technology, IIHR, Bangalore, 19-23
- Iyer CPA and Kurian RM (2002), Strategies for High Density Planting of Horticultural Crops. Hi-Tech Horticulture, Horticultural Society of India, New Delhi, 66-78.
- Ganeshamuthy AN, Reddy YTN, Kurian RM and Raghupathi HB (2006). Long-term application of N, P and K to mango: Impact on forms and special movement of K in soils. In Mukhopadhyay SS, Brar MS and Sharma P (eds) Balanced Fertilization for Sustaining Crop Productivity Volume II, International Potash Institute, Horgen, Switzerland, 451-454.
- Kurian RM, Singh HS and Kishore K (2013). Canopy management in mango is a challenge in some parts of Odisha – A preliminary survey report. In Singh VK and Ravishankar H (eds) Canopy Management and High Density Planting in Subtropical Fruit Crops, CISH, Lucknow, 148-153.
- Iyer CPA and Kurian RM (2006), High Density Planting in Tropical Fruits - Principles and Practices. International Book Distributing Co., Lucknow, India.
- Reddy YTN and Kurian RM (2005). Mango Cultivation, Extension Folder No 21-05, Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bangalore
- Sulladmath VV, Murthy BNS, Kurian RM, Reddy YTN, Patil P, Varalakshmi B and Janakiram T (Eds). Book of Abstracts on National Symposium on Under Utilized Horticultural Crops, Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bangalore, p146.
- Prabhakar M, Kurian RM, Gajanana TM, Sudha M and Venugopalan R (Eds). Vision 2030, Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bangalore. (July 2011) p 25.
- Chithiraichelvan R, Kurian RM and Gaddagimath PB (Eds). Production Technology of Tropical Fruit Crops – A Handbook, Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bangalore. (May 2012) p 146.
- Kurian RM, Manjunath BL, Sulladmath VV and Subramanya N (Eds) (2015), Souvenir of Lead Papers and Abstracts – National Meet on Distant Hybridization in Horticultural Crop Improvement. Society for Promotion of Horticulture, Bengaluru, p 276.
- National Merit Certificate for high position secured in S.S.L.C. examination.
- Kerala Agricultural University Merit Scholarship for B.Sc. (Hort.).
- First Rank holder for B.Sc. (Hort.) degree.
- Aspee Gold Medal for securing highest Overall Grade Point Average in plant protection subjects (Entomology and Pathology) in B.Sc. (Hort.) degree programme.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund Award for securing first rank in B.Sc. (Hort.)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund Award for securing first rank in M.Sc. (Hort.)
- University of Agricultural Sciences Gold Medal for completing M.Sc. (Hort.) degree programme “with distinction”.
- Government of Karnataka “State Award” for securing first rank in M.Sc. (Hort.) degree programme.
- ICAR Junior Fellowship for M.Sc. (Hort.).
- ICAR Senior Fellowship for Ph.D. Programme.
- University of Agricultural Sciences Gold Medal for completing Ph.D. in Horticulture “with distinction”.
- Indo-American Hybrid Seeds Gold Medal for having secured highest Grade Point Average among Ph.D. Scholars in Horticulture.
Division of Fruit Crops
Address for Communication:
Principal Scientist, Division of Fruit Crops, IIHR, Hessaraghatta Lake Post, Bengaluru 560 089.