Srinivasa Rao M.
Applied Research: Developed sustainable integrated nematode and disease management strategies in vegetable crops such as tomato, brinjal, onion, okra, capsicum, carrot, cauliflower cabbage, banana, papaya, acid lime, carnations, gladiolus, tuberose and gerbera.
Worked out the molecular basis for the mode of action of Pseudomonas fluorescens, Trichoderma viride and biochemical basis of Bacillus subtilis induced systemic resistance mechanism in capsicum. Developed mass production protocols of effective bio-pesticides such as Paecilomyces lilacinus – 1% W. P., Pochonia chlamydosporia – 1% W. P., Pseudomonasfluorescens – 1% W. P., Trichoderma harzianum – 1% W. P. & Trichoderma viride – 1.5% W. P. and they have been registered by Central Insecticide board and Registration Committee (CIB&RC), Ministry of Agriculture.
Transfer of Technology: Transferred the integrated nematode and disease management technologies among the farmers in most of the states of India through All India Co-ordinated Research Project.
Commercialization of technologies: Technologies of mass production of bio-pesticides (IIHR - Paecilomyces lilacinus – 1% W. P., IIHR - Pochonia chlamydosporia – 1% W. P., IIHR -Pseudomonas fluorescens – 1% W. P., IIHR – Trichoderma viride – 1.5% W.P. & IIHR -Trichoderma harzianum – 1% W. P.. ) have been transferred to industries in India till date.
Inventions / Products Developed at IIHR:
- Paecilomyces lilacinus - 1% W. P.
- Verticillium chlamydosporia - 1% W. P.
- Trichoderma harzianum - 1% W. P.
- Trichoderma viride – 1.5% W. P.
- Pseudomonas fluorescens - 1% W. P.
- Arka Plant Growth Booster (Patented technology on organic formulation ofPseudomonas fluorescens)
- Arka Plant Growth Enhancer & Yield Promoter (Patented technology on combination formulation of Pseudomonas fluorescens + Trichoderma harzianum)
- Bacillus subtilis - 1% W.P. (Talc formulation of Bacillus subtilis -1% W.P.)
- Consortia of Trichoderma viride, Pseudomonas fluorescens and Paecilomyces lilacinus
- Liquid formulation of Bacillus subtilis – 1% A.S.)
- Liquid formulation of Pseudomonas fluorescens – 1% A.S.
- Arka - Tricorich (Organic formulation of Trichoderma harzianum)
(1) Rao M.S., D.S. Sowmya, M.K. Chaya, R. Manoj Kumar, Ratnamma, J. Gavaskar, K. Priti and N. Ramachandran. 2012. Management of nematode induced wilt disease complex in capsicum usingPseudomonas Fluorescens and Paecilomyces lilacinus. Nematologia mediterranea, 40: 101-105. 2. (2) Sowmya, D.S., Rao M.S., R. Manoj kumar, Ratnamma, J. Gavaskar, K. Priti. 2012. Bio-management of Meloidogyne incognita and Erwinia caratovora in carrot (Daucus corota L.) usingPseudomonas fluorescens And Paecilomyces lilacinus. Nematologia mediterranea,40:189-194. (3) Shylaja, M., Rao, M. S. 2012. Invitro compatibility studies of Trichoderma harzianum with inorganic fertilizers. Nematologia mediterranea, 40: 51-54. (4) Rao, M. S. 2008. Management ofMeloidogyne Javanica on acid lime using Paecilomyces lilacinus and Pseudomonas fluorescens. Nematologia Mediterranea. 36: 45 – 50 5. (5) Rao, M. S., Kerry, B. R., Gowen, S. R., Bourne, J. M. and Parvatha Reddy, P. 1997. Management of Meloidogyne incognita in tomato nurseries by integration of Glomus deserticola with Verticillium chlamydosporium. Zeitschrift fur Pflankrankheiten und Pflanzenschutz (Journal of Plant diseases and Protection) 104: 419-422. (6) Rao, M. S., Parvatha Reddy, P. and Chowla, G. 1996.Potential use of botanicals for the development of formulation of the biocontrol fungus, Verticillium lecanii. Zeitschrift fur Pflankrankheiten und Pflanzenschutz (Journal of Plant diseases and Protection), 103(4): 423-425. (7) Rao, M.S., Reddy, P. P. and Mohandas, S. 1995. Effect of integration of endomycorrhiza (Glomus mosseae) and neem cake on the control of root-knot nematode on tomato. Zeitschrift fur Pflankrankheiten und Pflanzenschutz ( J. Pl. Dis. Prot.) 102: 526-529. (8) Rao, M. S, 2007. Papaya seedlings colonized by the bio-agents – Trichoderma harzianum and Pseudomonasfluorescens to control root-knot nematodes. Nematologia Mediterranea 35: 199 – 203. (9) Rao, M. S. 2007. Production of bio-agent colonized vegetable seedlings for sustainable nematode management. Acta Horticulture. 752: 545 – 548. (10) Rao, M. S., Parvatha Reddy, P. and Nagesh, M. 1997. Management of root-knot nematode, Meloidogyne incognita on tomato by integration of Trichoderma harzianum with neem cake. Zeitschrift fur Pflankrankheiten und Pflanzenschutz (Journal of Plant diseases and Protection), 104(4): 423-425.
- US Patent (No: US 7,923,005 B)
- Sri Lanka Patent (No: 15228 PCT/IN2007/000401)
- India Patent (No.250779)
- Australian Patent (No. AU 2007352140 B2)
- US Patent (No. AU 2007216174 B2)
- European Patent (No. EP 2154975 B1)
- Thailand Patent (No: 7621)
- Bangladesh Patent (No. 1005199)
External Funded Projects:
- Dr. M. S. Rao was Principal Investigator for 3 DBT, 2 DST & 3 NABARD projects and brought a funding of Rs. 3.5 crores to IIHR.
- Conducted research in the capacity as Indian National Science Academy (INSA) visiting scientist in University of Reading (6 months) and IACR – Rotahmsted (1 month), United Kingdom
- Awardee of International award: DST- Lockheed Martin India Innovation Growth Programme 2013 organized by DST- FICCI on 5th Dec. 2013
- Participated in the Indo French Delegation to France to make presentation on the technology of “Consortia of Pseudomonas fluorescens & Trichoderma harzianum with growth and yield promoting effect (Arka Plant Growth Enhancer and Yield Promoter)
- Invited as speaker at the Global Forum for Innovations in Agriculture. Made presentation on IIHR Innovation and patented technology – Combination formulation of Pseudomonas fluorescens and Trichoderma harzianum “Arka Plant Growth Enhancer and Yield Promoter” at GFIA, Abu Dhabi.
- Attended 2nd Asian PGPR conference at Beijing, China– Co-chaired a session and presented lead paper
- FAO consultant for promoting the use of bio-pesticides in organic farming in Karnataka, for a period of 6 months.
#623 A block, near police outpost shakaanagar, Bangalore- 560 092