I have been working at IIHR, since, September 1992 onwards my contribution in the field of Vegetable Breeding are as follows I have collected , evaluated, characterized, utilized and maintained of watermelon (120) muskmelon (125 ), cucumber (150), ash gourd ( 40) and Okra (175 ) germplasm accessions for breeding programme in the Vegetable Breeding Lab.II.. I have identified as a sources of resistance to major diseases namely Watermelon Bud Necrosis Virus ( Citullus colocynthis , C. lanatus var. citroids) fusarium wilt and gummy stem blight in watermelon. Downy and powdery mildew , alternaria , fusarium wilt diseases in muskmelon, Downy , powdery and anthracnose diseases in Cucumber and Yellow Vein Mosaic Virus in okra .
- Arka Sujat and Arka Sumeet: Two ridge gourd varieties has been developed released for high yield, good qualities and suitable for long transport market.
- Arka Akash and Arka Aiswarya : Two F1 hybrids has been developed and released for high yield and good qualities in watermelon
- Arka Madhura :Triploid Seedless watermelon has been developed and released for high yield and good quality for protected cultivation in first time at IIHR.
- Arka Muthu : Ice box type and dwarf watermelon variety has been developed and released for high density planting along with drip and mulching system
- Geneic male sterile line has been developed and commercialized through ITMU and utilized for development of F1 hybrids in okra , is the first report in the world.
- Transfer of Genic male sterile lines in to different genetic backgrounds and advances lines and F1 hybrid in okra have been developed.
- Incorporation of Yellow Vein Mosaic Virus resistances in to Geneic male sterile
- Background in okra
- Pitchaimuthu, M and P. Sirohi (1997) Genetic analysis of fruit characters in Bottle gourd [Lagenaria sciceraria (Mol.) Standl.] J. Genet. & Breeding 51: 33-37
- Pitchaimuthu. M and O.P.Dutta (2001) Evaluation of triploid (Seedless) watermelon under poly house. South Indain Horticulture 49 (50th year special): 311-312.
- Pious Thomas, M.Pitchaimuthu, J.B. Mythili and Meenakshi Srinivas (2003) Salvaging of abortive embryos from mature tetraploid X diploid watermelon fruit through in vitro culturing and realization of a triploid seedless waterermelon. Current Science 84(6): 813-816.
- V.S.R.Krishna Prasad and Pitchaimuthu,M., (2004) Phenotypic stability and horticultural performance of cucumber [Cucumis sativus (L.)]. Indian Journal of Agricultural Science 74(2): 102-104.
- V.S.R.Krishna Prasad, M. Pitchaimuthu and O.P. Dutta (2002) Adaptive response and diversity pattern in watermelon. Indain J.Hort. 59(3): 289-306
- Pious Thomas, Bhanupanthula S. Prabhakara & Mottiyan Pitchaimuthu (2006) Cleansing the long –term micro propagated triploid watermelon cultures from covert bacteria and field testing the plants for clonal fidelity and fertility during the 7-10 years period in vitro. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 85: 317-329
- M.Pitchaimuthu, O.P. Dutta, V.S.R. Krishna Prasad and K.R. M. Swamy (2008) Development of novel character in okra [(Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench ]. Journal of Horticultural Science.3 (1):66-67.
- K. T. Shashikumar , M. Pitchaimuthu and R. D. Rawal (2010)Generation mean analysis of resistance to downy mildew in adult muskmelon plants Euphytica: 173 (1): 121-127
- K. T. Shashikumar,M. Pitchaimuthu,D.P.Kumar and R. D. Rawal (2010) Heterosis and combining ability for resistance to powdery mildew in adult melon plants . Plant Breeding. 130 : 383-387.
- Prakash, K., M.Pitchaimuthu and K.V. Ravishankar (2011) Assessment of genetic relatedness among okra [Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench] genotypes using rapd markers . Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding 2(1):80-86.
- Prakash K., M. Pitchaimuthu, R. Venugopalan, Shivanad Hongal and K. Jainag (2011) Genetic diversity studies in okra [Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench]. International Journal of Agricultural Sciences 7(2): 440-443.
- Prakash K., M. Pitchaimuthu, R. Venugopalan, Shivanad Hongal and K. Jainag (2011) Variability , heritability and genetic advance studies in okra [Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench . The Asian Journal of Horticulture 6(1):124-127
- Veena.R, Amrik Singh Sidhu , M.Pitchaimuthu and Souravi,K. 2012. Genetic evaluation of cucumber [Cucumis sativus (L.)]genotypes for some yield and related traits . Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding 3(3):945-948.
- Pitchaimuthu,M., O.P. Dutta, K.R.M. Swamy and K. Souravi 2012. Mode of inheritance of bitterness and spine colour in cucumber fruit (Cucumis sativus (L.).Proceedings of the Xth EUCARPIA meeting on genetics and breeding of Cucurbitaceae (ed. Sari, Solmaz and Aras) Antalya ( Turkey), October 15-18th 2012 pp :70-73.
- Pitchaimuthu,M., Souravi.K, Girija Ganeshan, G. Santhosh Kumar and R. Pushpalatha 2012 . Identification of sources of resistance to powdery mildew and downy mildew diseases in Cucumber (Cucumis sativus (L.).Pest Management in Horticultural Ecosystem 18(1) :105-107
#49, Varma Layout, 4thCross,Bhuvaneswarinagar, Hebbal Kempapura,Bangalore,Karanataka,560024