Our lab is working on genomics and marker assisted breeding
-Developed microsatellite markers for mango, banana, okra, pomegranate, Garcinia speceis and sapota.
-Invovled in gene pyarmiding and development of tomato hybrids.
-Assessement of genetic diversity and characterization of Indian mango cultivars
1. Functional Genomics of Fusarium wilt and drought tolerance in Banana
2.Functional genomics of plant type, maturity and fruit quality traits in mango
3. Introgression of Begomovirus Resistance Genes in Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) Through MAS and Genomic Approaches.
4. NICRA- Heat tolerance studies in tomato
6.Screening of Banana germ plasm from the NE fm· Fusarium wilt resistance and mofteculat· characterization in contrasting genotypes
Recent Publications from the lab:
·Ravishankar KV, BH. Mani, MR. Dinesh, and Lalitha Anand 2011. Development of new microsatellite markers from Mango (Mangifera indica) and cross-species amplification. American Journal of Botany 98(4):e96-9. doi:10.3732/ajb.1000263.
Ravishankar KV, Rekha A, Malarvizhi, M., Ambika, DS., 2011. Apomictic seed development in Ensete superbum induced by pollen ofwild banana sp. Musa balbisiana. Current Science 10:494-495
- Ravishankar KV, L. Vidhya, A. Cyriac, A. Rekha, R. Goel, N.K. Singh and T.R. Sharma 2012 Development of SSR markers based on a survey of genomic sequences and their molecular analysis in banana (Musa spp.) Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, 87:84-88
- Vasugi, C., M. R. Dinesh, K. Sekar,K. S. Shivashankara, B. Padmakar and K. V. Ravishankar 2012 Genetic diversity in unique indigenous mango accessions (Appemidi) of the Western Ghats for certain fruit Characteristics Current Science 103: 199-207
- Manohar, S. H., Murthy, H. N., & Ravishankar, K. V. (2013). Genetic diversity in a collection of Cucumis sativus L. assessed by RAPD and ISSR markers. Journal of Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 22:241-244
- Khadke, G. N.; Hima Bindu, K.; Ravishankar, K. V. 2012 Development of SCAR marker for sex determination in dioecious betelvine (Piper betle L.) Current Science 103:712-716
- Naresh P, KM Reddy, MK Reddy, KV Ravishankar 2012 Variability in Capsaicinoids content and phylogenetic analysis of AT3, and Acyltransferase gene in Chilli (Capsicum annuum L.) Vegetable Science 39:16-20
- Kamala Jayanthi PD, Rajinikanth R, Sangeetha P, Ravishankar KV, Arthikirubha A, Devi Thangam S and Abraham Verghese 2012 Rapid isolation of high molecular weight DNA from single dry preserved adult beetle of Cryptolaemus montrouzieri for polymerase chain reaction (PCR) amplification. African Journal of Biotechnology 11, pp. 15654-15657
- Swarupa, V., Ravishankar, K. V., & Rekha, A. (2013). Characterization of tolerance to Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. Cubense infection in banana using Suppression subtractive hybridization and gene expression analysis. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 83:1-7
- Ravishankar KV, K. P. Raghavendra,V.Athani, A. Rekha, K. Sudeepa, D. Bhavya,V. Srinivas And L.Ananad (2013) Development and characterisation of microsatellite markers for wild banana (Musa balbisiana) Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology 88 (5) 605–609
- Dinesh,MR. G.L. Veena, C. Vasugi, M. Krishna Reddy, K.V. Ravishankar (2013) Intergeneric hybridization in papaya for ‘PRSV’ tolerance Scientia Horticulturae 161:357–360.
- Kanupriya. C,V. Radhika and K.V. Ravishankar. 2013 Mining of miRNAs in pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) by pyrosequencing of part of the genome. Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology 88 (6) 735–742
- Rai, N.K., Sahu, P.P., Gupta,K., Krishna Reddy,M., Ravishankar, K.V.,Major Singh, Sadashiva, A.T. and Manoj Prasad 2014. Identification and validation of an ISSR markerlinked to Tomato leaf curl New Delhi virus resistant gene in a core set of tomato accessions. Veg. Sci., 40 : 1-7.
- Swarupa, V., Ravishankar, K. V., & Rekha, A. (2014). Plant defense response against Fusarium oxysporum and strategies to develop tolerant genotypes in banana. Planta 239:735-751.
- Kavitha, P., Shivashankara, K. S., Rao, V. K., Sadashiva, A. T., Ravishankar, K. V., & Sathish, G. J. (2014). Genotypic variability for antioxidant and quality parameters among tomato cultivars, hybrids, cherry tomatoes and wild species. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 94: 993–999
- Jayanthi, P. K., Rajinikanth, R., Ravishankar, K. V., Sangeetha, P., Verghese, A., & Lokeshwari, D. (2014). Influence of cGMP on Feeding Potential of Predatory Coccinellid, Cryptolaemus montrouzieri Mulsant and Isolation of Partial foraging Gene. Journal of Insect Behavior, 27(3): 385-394.
- Rymbai, H., Laxman, R. H., Dinesh, M. R., Sunoj, V. S., Ravishankar, K. V., & Jha, A. K. (2014). Diversity in leaf morphology and physiological characteristics among mango (Mangifera indica) cultivars popular in different agro-climatic regions of India. Scientia Horticulturae, 176: 189-193.
- Joseph, K. S., Murthy, H. N., and Ravishankar, K. V 2014. Development of SCAR marker for sex identification in dioecious Garcinia gummi-gutta. Trees, 28:1645-1651
- Joseph, K. S., Murthy, H. N., & Ravishankar, K. V. (2014). Development of male-specific SCAR marker in Garcinia morella (Gaertn.) Desr. Journal of Genetics, 93(3), 875-877.
- Swarupa V, A Rekha and KV Ravishankar (2014) Development of normalized cDNA library from Fusarium wilt infected roots 55 of a tolerant banana genotype ‘Calcutta-4’ Musa acuminata ssp. burmannicoides Journal of Horticultural Sciences 9:55-60
- Ravishankar, K.V., Bommisetty, P., Bajpai, A., Srivastava, N., Mani, B.H., Vasugi, C., Rajan, S. and Dinesh, M.R., 2015. Genetic diversity and population structure analysis of mango (Mangiferaindica) cultivars assessed by microsatellite markers. Trees, 29(3), pp.775-783.
- Ravishankar, K. V., M. R. Dinesh, P. Nischita, and B. S. Sandya. 2015 Development and characterization of microsatellite markers in mango (Mangifera indica) using next-generation sequencing technology and their transferability across species. Molecular Breeding 35:93
- Ravishankar, K V., Kanupriya Chaturvedi, Nischita P, Santhoshkumar G, and Sampathkumar P. Mining and characterization of SSRs from pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) by pyrosequencing. Plant Breeding (2015) 134(2), 247-254. DOI: 10.1111/pbr.12238 .
- Dinesh, M. R., S. Rajan, Sanjay Kumar Singh, I. P. Singh, K. V. Ravishankar, V. A. Parthasarathy, Bhuwon Sthapit, V. Ramanatha Rao, and B. S. Sandya. 2015 "Heirloom/Seedling Mango Varieties of India–Potentialities and Future." Indian Journal of Plant Genetic Resources 28: 139-152.
- Joseph, K. S., Murthy, H. N., & Ravishankar, K. V. (2015). Development of a SCAR marker associated with male sex determination in Garcinia indica Choisy. Journal Of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology,90(3), 332-336.
- Ravishankar, K. V., H. S. Megha, A. Rekha, G. N. Khadke, and C. H. Veerraju. (2015) "Insights into Musa balbisiana and Musa acuminata species divergence and development of genic microsatellites by transcriptomics approach." Plant Gene 4;78-82
- Anju Bajpai , M. Muthukumar ., Israr Ahmad , K.V. Ravishankar , V.A. Parthasarthy , Bhuwon Sthapit , Ramanatha Rao , J.P.Verma and S Rajan 2016 Molecular and Morphological diversity in locally grown non-commercial (heirloom) mango varieties of north India. Journal of Environmental Biology, 37: 221-228
- Kavitha P, K.S. Shivashankara, T.K. Roy, K.C. Pavithra, V.K. Rao, A.T. Sadashiva, K.V. Ravishankar and G.J. Sathish, (2015) Metabolite profiling for six ‘B’ vitamins using LC-MS in tomato genotypes at different stages of fruit maturity J. Hortl. Sci. 10 (1):30-37.
- Sampangi-Ramaiah MH, Ravishankar KV, Seetharamaiah SK, Roy TK, Hunashikatti L, Rekha A, Shilpa P (2016) Barrier against water loss: relationship between epicuticular wax composition, gene expression and leaf water retention capacity in banana. Functional Plant Biology. 43:492–501
- Sampangi-Ramaiah MH, Ravishankar KV, Rekha A, Shivashankara KS, Hunashikatti LR. (2016) A Contig-Based Computational Prediction of Conserved miRNAs and Their Probable Role in Regulation of Cuticular Wax Biosynthesis in Banana. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter. 35 (2): 203- 214. Doi: 10.1007/s11105-016-1016-9