He has got 18 years of experience in grape research with specialization in screening and evaluation of rootstocks for drought and salinity tolerance, canopy management of wine grapes etc. Long term evaluation of rootstocks for Thompson Seedless grapes resulted in identifying Dogridge rootstock for increased bunch and berry size, drought tolerance in spite of its higher vigor inducing capacity to scions. And symptom of inverted bottleneck at graft joint does as not a symptom of graft incompatibility. Studied the physiological, biochemical and molecular mechanisms of rootstocks altering scion physiology during bud burst, fruit bud differentiation and berry development stages and identified enzymes responsible for quick bud burst, hormones responsible for bud dormancy and its release, increased berry size etc. Screened rootstocks for tolerance of combined moisture and salinity stresses and could see the over expression of Na+/H+ antiporter gene in 110R rootstock conferring its salt tolerance by exclusion of sodium from soil or its sequestration in vacuole and its more osmotic adjustment with respect to accumulation of compatible solutes like proline, sugars etc. Our team standardized protocols for extraction of quality proteins from different grape tissues for proteomic studies and also standardized protocols for 2D electrophoresis. Standardized protocols of in-sol digestion of proteins for proteome characterization on MS-MS. Standardized protocols for estimation of pheolic profile, organic acids, sugars and amino acids on HPLC. Standardized canopy management practices such as shoot thinning, shoot positioning and leaf removal at veraison stage for Norton grapes (under continental climate of Missouri, USA) and Cabernet Sauvignon (under tropical conditions of Pune, India) to improve fruit composition with respect to juice pH, malic acid content, anthocyanin content to produce quality wine.
- Satisha, J., Prakash, G.S. and Venugopalan, R., (2006). Statistical modelling of water use efficiency with physio-biochemical parameters of grape rootstocks, genotypes and budded grapevines under soil moisture stress conditions. Turkish J. Agriculture and Forestry, 30(4): 261-271.
- Satisha, J., Prakash, G.S., Murti, G.S.R. and K.K. Upreti. 2007. Water stress and rootstocks influences hormonal status of grafted grapevines. European Journal of Horticultural Sciences, 72(5): 202-205.
- Satisha, J., Ramteke, S.D. and Karibasappa, G.S., 2007. Physiological and biochemical characterization of grape rootstocks. South African Journal of Enology and Viticulture. 28(2): 163-168.
- J. Satisha, R.G. Somkuwar, J. Sharma, A.K. Upadhyay and P.G Adsule, 2010. Influence of rootstock on growth, yield and fruit composition of Thompson Seedless grown in the Pune region of India. South African Journal of Enology and Viticulture, 31: 1-8.
- Satisha Jogaiah,Dashrat P. Oulkar, Kaushik Banerjee, PoornimaRaveendran and Narendra D. Rokade, 2010. Amino acid composition of major table and wine grape cultivars grown in semiarid climate of India. Horticulture, Environment and Biotechnology, 51(3): 226-234
- Satisha Jogaiah, Keith R. Striegler, Eli Bergmeier and Jackie Harris, 2012. Influence of Cluster Exposure to Sun on Fruit Composition of Norton Grapes (Vitis estivalisMichx) in Missouri. International Journal of Fruit Sciences, 12: 410-426.
- Satisha Jogaiah, Dasharath P. Oulkar, Kaushik Banerjee, Jagdev Sharma, Anuja S. Patil. Smitha R. Maske, and Ramhari G. Somkuwar, 2013. Biochemically Induced Variations during Some Phenological Stages in Thompson Seedless Grapevines Grafted on Different Rootstocks. South African Journal of Enology and Viticulture. 34: 36-45
- Satisha Jogaiah, Dasharath P. Oulkar, Amruta N. Vijapure, Smita R. Maske, Ajay Kumar Sharma and Ramhari G. Somkuwar, 2013. Influence of canopy management practices on fruit composition of wine grape cultivars grown in semiarid tropical region of India. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 8 (24): 3462-3472. DOI. 10.5897/AJAR/12.2066
- Satisha Jogaiah, Sahdeo D. Ramteke, Jagdev Sharma and Ajay Kumar Upadhyay, 2014. Moisture and Salinity Stress Induced Changes in Biochemical Constituents and Water Relations of Different Grape Rootstock Cultivars. International Journal of Agronomy, pp: 1-8. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/789087.
- Satisha Jogaiah, Smita R. Maske and Anuradha Upadhyay, 2014. Rootstocks induced changes in enzyme activity and other biochemical components during bud burst in Thompson Seedless grapevine buds. Vitis, 53 (2): 57-64.
- Jagdev Sharma, Ajay Kumar Upadhyay, P.G. Adsule, S.D. Sawant, Ajay Kumar Sharma, J. Satisha, Deependra Yadav, S.D. Ramteke., 2012. In the souvenir of National Dialogue on Climate Resilient Horticulture, Held at IIHR, Bangalore from 27-29th January. Pp: 179-199.
- Satisha, J. 2013. Use of rootstocks in grape cultivation. In: Good Agricultural Practices for production of table grapes. Eds: (Editors: Adsule, P.G., Yadav, D.S., Anuradha Upadhyay, Satisha, J and Sharma, A.K.,). Pp: 6-8
- Proceedings of the Symposium on Advances in Vineyard Pest Management. (ed: R. Keith Striegler, Andy Allen, Satisha Jogaiah and Jackie Harris). Midwest Grape and Wine Conference, Held at Osage Beach, MO on February 6-8, 2010. pp: 88.
- R.G. Somkuwar and J. Satisha, 2014. Establishment of New Vineyards - Do’s and Don’ts. Technical Bulletin No. 12. NRC Grapes, Pune. Pp: 32
- R.G. Somkuwar and J. Satisha, 2014. Foundation pruning in grapes - Do’s and Don’ts. Technical Bulletin No. 13. NRC Grapes, Pune. Pp: 36
- R.G. Somkuwar and J. Satisha, 2014. Fruit pruning in grapes - Do’s and Don’ts. Technical Bulletin No. 14. NRC Grapes, Pune. Pp:36
- R.G. Somkuwar, A.K. Upadhyay, J. Satisha, S.D. Sawant and D.S. Yadav, 2015. Establishment of New Vineyard. Technical Bulletin No15, ICAR-NRC Grapes, Pune. Pp: 40.
- Recipient of ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi), Junior Research Fellowship for the year 1992-93 and 1993-1994 during M. Sc (Agriculture).
- Recipient of 2 Gold Medal for Highest OGPA among M. Sc. (Agri) students during 1995.
- Recipient of 3 UAS Gold Medal for Highest OGPA among Ph.D (Hort) students during 2004.
- Postdoctoral research associate fellowship for two years from 2008-2010 from University of Missouri – Columbia
- Recognized as a guide for Ph.D. by Shivaji University, Kolhapur (Biochemistry) and from University of Horticultural Sciences, Bagalkot (Horticulture)
- Awarded for best poster presentation in 6th Indian Horticultural Congress held at Coimbatore during November 2014
Principal Scientist, Division of Fruit Crops, Hesaraghatta lake post, Bengaluru - 560 089