Uma maheshwari R
7 years 10 months
- Isolated several native strains of entomopathogenic nematodes Steinernema and Heterorhabditis from the Western Ghats and reported a new record of S. siamkayai from Tamil Nadu
- Standardized mass production and formulation protocols for entomopathogenic nematodes
- Developed integrated nematode management package for managing potato cyst nematodes in The Nilgiris.
- Developed packages for plant protection problems in kharif potato in Karnataka
- Involved in development of cyst nematode and late blight resistant potato varieties and advanced hybrids suitable for Nilgiris
- Involved in development of high yielding potato varieties suitable for cultivation in South Indian hills.
- Developed biomanagement techniques for reducing nematode damage in banana and betelvine
International- 8; National-23; Popular articles – 13; Book chapters – 5
- Umamaheswari, R., Sivakumar, M. and Subramanian, S. 2005. New record of an entomopathogenic nematode, Steinernema siamkayai Stock, Somsook and Reid, 1998 from Tamil Nadu, India. Indian Journal of Nematology, 35 (2): 215-216.
- Umamaheswari, R., Sivakumar, M. and Subramanian, S. 2006. Survival and infectivity of entomopathogenic nematodes in alginate gel formulations against rice meal moth larva, Corcyra cephalonica. Natural Product Radiance, 5(2): 95-98.
- Umamaheswari, R., Sivakumar, M. and Subramanian, S. 2006. Biocontrol efficacy of entomopathogenic nematodes on Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in blackgram. Indian Journal of nematology, 36(1): 19-22.
- Jonathan, E.I., Umamaheswari, R. and Bommairaju, P. 2006. Bioefficacy of native plant growth promoting rhizobacteria against Meloidogyne incognita and Phytophthora capsici disease complex in betelvine. Indian Journal of Nematology, 36 (2): 234-240.
- Dalamu, Bhardwaj, V., Umamaheswari, R., Sharma, R., Kaushik, SK., Joseph, TA, Singh, BP and Gebhardt, C. 2012. Potato Cyst Nematode (PCN) Resistance: Genes, Genotypes and Markers – An Update. SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics, 44 (2): 202-228
- Umamaheswari, R., Somasekhar, N., Manorama, K. and Joseph, T.A. 2012. Eco-friendly management of potato cyst nematodes in The Nilgiris of Tamil Nadu. Potato Journal. 39(2): 185-190.
- Manorama, K., Joseph, T.A, Ravichandran, G., Muthuraj, R., Umamaheswari, R. and Somasekhar, N. (2013). Soil fertility and pest spectrum in The Nilgiris. International Journal of Agriculture Innovations and Research, 2(1) ISSN (Online) 2319-1473.
- Sharma, A., Bhardwaj, V., Dalamu, Kaushik, S.K., Singh, B.P., Sharma, S., Umamaheshwari, R., Baswaraj, R., Kumar V., Gebhardt, C. 2014. Identification of elite potato genotypes possessing multiple diseaseresistance genes through molecular approaches. Scientia Horticulturae, 179: 204-211.
- Rao, M.S., Umamaheswari, R. and Chakravarty, A.K. (2015). Plant Parasitic Nematodes: a major stumbling block for successful crop protection under protected conditions in India. Current Science, 108(1): 13-14
- Rao, M.S., Umamaheswari, R., Chakravarty, A.K., Grace, G.N., Kamalnath, M. and Prabhu, P. (2015). A frontier area of research on liquid biopesticides: The way forward for sustainable agriculture in India. Current Science, 108 (9):1590-1592
- Chief Guest G.S. Pathak’s Award for the Best Ph.D. student of the University with a gold medal at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
- Dr. A. Abdul Kareem, Late Janab H. Peer Mohammed of Vandavasi and Dr. P. Narayanaswamy Awards for the Best Ph.D. student in Plant Protection Studies with a gold medal at TNAU, Coimbatore
- Hexamar Agricultural Research Foundation Award for the Best Student in Plant Nematology with a gold medal at TNAU, Coimbatore
- Senior Research Fellowship – Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi
- Senior Research Fellowship- ICAR, New Delhi
- TNAU Merit Scholarship for the Masters Degree
- Best Poster Award – Nematological Society of India, 2010
Division of Entomology & Nematology
Address for Communication:
Scientist, Division of Entomology & Nematology, IIHR, Hessaraghatta Lake Post, Bangalore 560 089.