- Developed non-parametric stability models/indices for crop varietal release in horticultural crops by considering stability over all traits with data driven weights to the traits (Venugopalan Indices)
- Suggested a robust ANOVA based approach for handling outliers in perennial crop experiments possessing high CV
- Developed ANN models to arrive at the crop logging parameters (significant yield contributing biometric factors) across different crop growth stages along with their optimum values for Banana (cv Ney poovan & Robusta) and Papaya (cv Surya).
- Developed statistical models for optimizing the role of weather factors on disease incidence of Anthracnose & Downy mildew in Grapes (cv Anab-E-Shahi), Powdery mildew in Mango (cv Alphonso) and Blossom blight in Mango (cv Totapuri).
- ANN models for population dynamics of Thrips in chilli and capsicum (across different rating) in relation to weather factors were developed.
- A menu driven statistical package for horticultural research (SPHR 1.0) was developed on windows platform facilitating day-to-day IIHR research projects statistical data analysis.
- Nonlinear stochastic models for disease dynamics in Grapes: Logistic and Gompertz nonlinear stochastic statistical models were developed to express the downy mildew disease progression
- Non-linear statistical models were developed to study the population dynamics of thrips across different ratings in Capsicum.
- Developed stability models in Watermelon, Chilli and Onion and identified lines/hybrids which are stable for commercial exploitation, and for release as a variety.
- Developed a statistical package for performing stability analysis research in vegetable crops.
- Method for revalidation of canopy architecture model in Mango based on resampling procedure.
- A quick model for estimation of leaf area in Fig (Cv Deanna) using non-destructive sampling approach Bootstrap method to evaluate the sampling efficiency and arrive at optimum sample size for leaf area estimations in Fig(Poona) by non-destructive sampling.
- Statistical models were developed for describing ideo-type canopy architecture of Thompson Seedless vine & Alphonso
- A nonlinear statistical models in carbon sequestration studies in Mango.
- Suggested statistical procedures to solve the problems of multi-collinearity/outliers in entomological experiments, before proceeding for carrying out classical regression analysis
- Constructed advanced statistical experimental designs for varietals/germplasm evaluated under resource constraint scenario(Crop: Okra)
- Developed a nonparametric index for assessing the relative performance of IIHR technologies
- Developed statistical models to ascertain reasons for aril browning in Pomegranate
- Developed a statistical model for identifying factors increasing Jasmine crop productivity
- Response Surface Models for optimising input-use (nutrient/water) efficiency in Acid lime and Mango
Variety released and genetic stock registered: As a multi-disciplinary research team member of Ornamental breeding program, released a Gladiolus variety Arka Naveen (for flower quality having 9 days of vase life as a prominent character with yield 1-1.5 marketable spikes/corm). As a multi-disciplinary research team member of Ornamental breeding program, Registered (IC0584125; INGR:10067;) a gladiolus germplasm at PGRC/NBPGR, New Delhi, (for Floret colour), under plant germplasm registration system of ICAR 2010.
Developed Window based (GUI) Statistical Package for Horticultural Research (SHPH V 1.0).
Developed Bio-stat Package for Horticultural Crops Research (Biostat IIHR V 1.0)
Developed a database Horticultural database system (HDS V 1.0)
Education: Involved in education activities since 2001 with recognition of guide for Agriculture Statistics students of UAS, Bangalore. To honour the MOU with UHS(B), since the first batch (2009-10), offering a compulsory Statistics course to their Ph.D students till today for 10 consecutive batches. With the recognition of IIHR as off campus of IARI during 2014, implemented the education activities as Chairman PG Education, ICAR-IIHR, till March 2017. As an organizing secretary, conducted the first ever Horticulture Education Conference at IIHR on 24 September,2016, with mobilizing the participation of 220 students and 55 faculties across our country. Under the guidance of Professor, due to fruitful interaction with Education Division, ICAR during 2016, generated one time PG education promotion fund of Rs.27 lakhs (through IARI) and established at ICAR-IIHR three state of art Classrooms and one conference hall with smart board teaching facilities (first time at IIHR) in each of the rooms coupled with modern dining mess/cafeteria for students. Four issues of students exclusive newsletter were also released. Organised Yoga camp, Sports week, All-India study tour, CAD training, Hindi seminar for students co-curricular activities. As Chairman PGE, facilitated to sign MOU with TNAU,UAS, JNKVV, ANGRAU and SHIATS during 2015-17. As a teacher, offered 17 courses during 2014-2020 with sole course leader in 10 courses for UHS and IARI-IIHR. Introduced first time at IIHR, smart board teaching (as an innovation in teaching method) during 2016 IARI session for the course AS 602. Recognized as faculty(Agri. Statistics) with IARI, UHS, UAS, DRYSRHU and Jain University. Recognised since 2018, in Doctoral Committee Board of NIMHANS (Institute of National Importance) for Ph.D (Biostatistics)students research problem formulation and evaluation. As of now guided 4 students in Agricultural Statistics and as statistician for 130 M.Sc/Ph.D students of UAS,UHS, IARI-IIHR, DRYSRHU in Horticulture, PHT, Soil Science, Plant Pathology, and Entomology. Notably 64 out of 132 total research publications are exclusively out of these student's thesis.
Organized an in-house (six batch of a week duration) Statistical training program on Horticultural Data Analysis Recognized as faculty with UAS, Bangalore, UHS, Bagalkot, APHU, A.P and Jain University, Bangalore for guiding students and course leader for offering statistics courses.
Identified as expert (Statistics) to serve as a Faculty member of Central silk Board (CSB) to conduct statistical training along with IIM(B)/IISc professors to Directors, Asst. Directors and Scientists of CSB during 2002,2003,2004.
Offered as course leader AST 601: Applied Regression Analysis (2+1) for the Ph.D students of UHS (B) since inaugural 2010 session onwards.
Offered as course leader PGS 504: Basic Statistical methods for Agricultural Research (2+1) for the Ph.D students of IARI-IIHR since 2014-15 session onwards.
Offered as course leader AST 602: Advanced Statistical Genetics (1+1) for the Ph.D students of IARI-IIHR during 2014-15 and 2015-16.
List of crops covered under multi-disciplinary research projects of stat lab, IIHR (since 2000)
Banana/Papaya (Crop logging models)
Mango/Grapes/Fig (Canopy architecture models)
Mango/Grapes (disease forecasting models)
Pomegranate (Selection index) Mango,
Passion fruit (Response surface models)
Chilli, Cucumber, Watermelon,
Brinjal and Onion: Biometrical/stability models
Okra: Advanced designs for evaluating germplsam lines
Tomato: Substrate dynamics models
Chill, Capsicum, Brinjal, Onion, melons: Pest population dynamics models
Ornamentals Jasmine, Rose, Gerbera (crop production models) Under consultancy services extended Statistics lab ,IIHR extends statistical consultancy on planning, designing, analyzing and interpretation of scientific project data and provide training for the same. Editor, JHS since 2009 for assessing statistical adequacy of the article submitted for publication.
Recognized as coordinator for Education Division of ICAR Sponsored Short Course "ICTs for Improving Efficiency and Effectiveness in Agricultural Research, Education and Extension of NARES", during 13-22, Nov. 2018 at ICAR-IIHR.
Released a PRACTICAL MANUAL ON "Experimental Designs For Basic And Biometrical Genetics Studies In Horticultural Crops", Post Graduate School in Horticultural Sciences, ICAR-IIHR.PP.37, for the benefit of IARI-IIHR Ph.D students..
- R. Venugopalan, M. Pitchaimuthu and M. Chaitra (2020). Nonparametric Stability Approach for Horticultural crop varietal release. JISAS 74(1): 73-80.
- K. Nataraj, G. K. Seetharamu, V. Srinivasa, Balaji, S. Kulkarni, Rajiv Kumar,
Lakshmana, R. Venugopalan and P. M. Munikrishnappa (2020). Screening of China Aster F1 Hybrids for Growth and Yield Characters.
Int. J. Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.. 9(5): 656-666.
- Devaraju, K. M. Indiresh, V. Srinivasa, D. Lakshmana, T. H. Singh, V. Devappa and R. Venugopalan (2020). Breeding Potential of Brinjal (Solanum melongena L.) Genotypes using D2 Analysis under Hill Zones of Karnataka, India. Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci., 9(3): 2768-2773.
- Amarjeet Kumar Rai., AT Sadashiva, YB Basavaraj, R Venugopalan, ES Rao (2020). Genetic analysis of bud necrosis disease caused by groundnut bud necrosis virus (GBNV) in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.). Euphytica 216 (8), 1-10.
- Kumar K. Ajay, Rekha A., Venugopalan R, Shivashankara K.S, Kumar S. Mohan, Honnabyraiah M.K and N. Jyothi (2020). Grouping of jamum genotypes based on fruit quality parameters. Indian Journal of Horticulture. 77(3). PP: 412-417.
- Multi-disciplinary group member for releasing a gladiolus variety Arka Naveen: Released (for flower quality) and germplasm IIHR-5 of gladiolus (INGR 10067) as collaborator with breeder.
- Gold medalist during B.Sc Statistics (Hons) at St. Joseph’s college, Trichy
- ICAR research fellowship for pursuing M.Sc (Agril. Stat) and Ph.D (Agril. Stat) at IASRI, New Delhi during 1991-93 and 1993-96, respectively.
- Recognized scientific personal for student guidance/evaluation at UAS, UHS, APHU, NIMHANS, Jain University and CSB
- Guided as Chairman 4 M.Sc (Stat) students at UAS (B) and member for 80 students in the division of Horticulture, Soil Science, and Statistics.
- Editor for Journal of Horticultural Sciences, Bangalore
- Nodal person for SAS and PIMS, ICAR Chairman PG Education for Monitoring & Implementation of IARI-IIHR Ph.D (Hort. & PHT) program
Principal Scientist (Agril. Stat), Division of Social Sciences and Training, IIHR, Bangalore-89