Dr. (Mrs.) S.Priya Devi was born on 19th June, 1974 in Thirunelveli District of Tamil Nadu, obtained her B.Sc. (Horticulture) from Horticultural College and Research, Periyakulam under Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), Coimbatore during 1995, with merit scholarship of TNAU. Later she completed her M.Sc. (Horticulture) from Horticultural College and Research Institute, TNAU, Coimbatore during 1998, with ICAR JRF fellowship and bagged Madhav Rao Gold award for Best Horticulture Thesis of the year. After serving as Senior Research Fellow under NATP (Hybridization programme in Vegetables) project for 11 months, in Department of Vegetable Crops, Horticultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore, she got selected as Scientist in Horticulture (Fruit Science) during 1999 and joined as Scientist at ICAR Research Complex for Goa on 19.11.1999. She has under gone Foundation Course for Agricultural Research Service (FOCARS) at National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM), Hyderabad in 69th FOCARS batch from 6th January to 4th May, 2000.
- After joining ICAR RC for Goa she worked on germplasm collection and conservation in under-utilised fruit crops of Goa, introduction and evaluation of improved varieties of fruit crops suitable for Goa and postharvest and processing of fruit crops of Goa.
- She has worked extensively on genetic diversity of kokum in Goa. She has identified promising kokum accessions for yield, earliness and quality traits after evaluating the core germplasm collected by her.
- She has contributed in developing DUS guidelines for kokum (Garcinia indica), through project funded by PPV&FRA.
- She was involved in genetic diversity of jackfruit and identified accessions suitable for table purpose as well as processing purposes.
- She has also identified local banana cultivars and pineapple variety suitable for cultivation under coconut shade in Goa.
- She has also evaluated commercial varieties of fruit crops like papaya, aonla, sapota and drawn recommendations on varieties suitable for commercial cultivation in Goa.
- As in-service candidate, she completed her PhD in Fruit Sciences at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, during 2009, and bagged K. Balaraman Gold Medal for best research thesis.
- She has worked on Precision Farming Technology of fruit crops under RKVY funded project and taken the advanced production technologies of banana and pineapple to the farmers’ fields at Goa
- She has also handled projects on Empowering Tribes of Goa with postharvest machinery for processing and value addition in minor fruits under erstwhile TSP and currently STC, funded by Govt. of India.
- She visited CSIRO, Canberra, Australia as visiting scientist for three months under NAIP programme, Component I. She got trained on Genome analysis in Eucalyptus.
- She was in charge of Postharvest Technology Unit at Goa and was involved in bulk production of value added products from Aonla, kokum, jackfruit etc.
- She is a life member of Indian Society of Horticulture, Association for Coastal Agricultural Research, Botanical Society of Goa and Executive Member of Western Ghat Kokum Foundation. She is also involved in generation of GAP for kokum, funded by QCI, Govt of India.
- She has published many research papers in the referred journals. To her credit, she is author/co-author in 8 technical bulletins, 2 book chapters and several compilations.
Q-202, Purva Venezia, Near Mother Dairy, Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan Road, Yelahanka New Town, Bengaluru-560064