Division of Natural Resources
Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry
(During the Period of 2019-2023)
- Standardized production technology for soilless cultivation of tomato, zucchini, colour cabbage, chilli, cucumber, French bean, Garden Peas, ridge gourd, brinjal, dolichos, radish, broccoli, bhendi, bottle gourd, patty pan, cow pea, carrot, beet root and native and exotic leafy vegetables for urban, peri-urban, and commercial scale cultivation.
- Standardized nutrient formulation for soilless cultivation of more than two dozen vegetables using cocopeat.
- Standardized aeroponics technology for fast-tracking corm multiplication in gladiolus.
- Standardized production technology including nutrient dose and application frequency for Chrysanthemum, China aster, crossandra, and marigold pot plants and pot herb production technology for peppermint and mandukaparni.
- Standardized micronutrient enriched substrate for production of milky mushroom Calocybe indica.
- Standardized organic production technology for ridge gourd, dolichos and palak.
- Standardized phenophase based water and nutrient requirements for Chrysanthemum, China aster and Crossandra.
- Standardized organic nutrient management modules for Centella asiatica and Brahmi.
- Mineral nutrient contents of 80 moringa and 50 pumpkin genotypes were characterized and nutritional quality of 18 underutilized leafy vegetables has been quantified.
- Standardized bio enriched organic manure production technology using cattle dung-based biogas slurry.
Varieties / Technologies Developed:
- Developed Arka Sasya Poshak Ras - A liquid nutrient formulation for soilless vegetable cultivation (cocoponics).
- Developed Arka Vertical Garden Structure for terrace and balcony gardening.
- Collaborated in development of two varieties of Centella asiatica viz., Arka Divya and Arka Prabhavi and two pummelo varieties Arka Anantha and Arka Chandra for better yield and nutritional quality and one tuberose variety Arka Keerthi for loose flower and garland purpose.
- Developed model terrace garden, roof top garden and vertical garden for cultivation of vegetables, medicinal herbs, and flower plants.
- Collaborated in development of ecofriendly incense stick Arka Floral Agarbathi and Dhoop.
(Best 10/High Impact)
- Kalaivanan, D., G. Selvakumar, and S. Shankara Hebbar, 2020. Effects of varying N, P and K concentrations on growth, biomass, yield, and nutritional quality of zucchini squash grown under open and polyhouse soilless culture. Indian Journal of Horticulture 77(3):496-502. DOI: 10.5958/0974-0112.2020.00071.7 (NAAS journal ratings: 6.16).
- Mangalassery, S., D. Kalaivanan, and Prabha S. Philip, 2019. Effect of inorganic fertilisers and organic amendments on soil aggregation and biochemical characteristics in a weathered tropical soil. Soil & Tillage Research, 187: 144–151. . 2018.12.008 (NAAS journal ratings: 13.37).
- Mangalassery, S. R. Rejani, V. Singh, J. D. Adiga, D. Kalaivanan, T. R. Rupa, and Prabha S. Philip, 2019. Impact of different irrigation regimes under varied planting density on growth, yield, and economic return of cashew (Anacardium occidentale L.). Irrigation Science, 37(4): 483-494. . (NAAS journal ratings: 9.52).
- Priyanka, S.P., S. Sujatha, G.R. Smitha, M.A. Suryanarayana and D. Kalaivanan, 2022. Biomass accumulation, bioactive compounds, and nutrient uptake in Centella asiatica (L.) in relation to organic nutrition in open-field and shade. Industrial Crops and Products 176. . (NAAS journal ratings: 12.45).
- Suryanarayana, M. A., S. Sujatha, S. P. Priyanka, D. Kalaivanan, and G. R. Smitha, 2022. Productivity, soil fertility and economic indicators in Centella asiatica L. production systems in semi-arid India. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 46 (2): 245-260, DOI: 10.1080/01904167.2022.2067770. (NAAS journal ratings: 8.28).
- Ganeshamurthy, A.N., D. Kalaivanan, and B.L. Manjunath, 2017. Nutrients removed from the soil decide the nutritional security of a nation: The case of iron and zinc in India. Current Science, 113(6): 1167-1173. (NAAS journal ratings: 7.17).
- Janani, P., Adiga, J. D., Mog, B., Kalaivanan, D., Meena, R.K., Rejani, R. and Yadukumar, N. 2022. Performance of high yielding varieties of cashew (Anacardium Occidentale L.) under different planting densities. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research 20(3): 2381-2392. 02500/02583/00077/pdf/ EPA02583_applied_ ecology_2022_3_23812392.pdf. (NAAS journal ratings: 6.82).
- Kalaivanan, D., and K. Omar Hattab, 2016. Recycling of sugarcane industries byproducts for preparation of enriched pressmud compost and its influence on growth and yield of rice (Oryza sativa L.). International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture (Springer), 5: 263-272.
- Gandhi, D.P., T. U. Bharathi, R. Umamaheswari, D. Kalaivanan and S. Prathibha, 2019. Response of tuberose genotypes to root knot nematode, Meloidogyne incognita: Biochemical, histological, and nutritional characterization of host-pathogen interaction. J. Environ. Biol., 40: 1151-1158. . (NAAS journal ratings: 6.73)
- Kalaivanan, D., Sudhir, K., and S.C. Kotur, 2014. Effect of different levels and placement of 32P labelled single super phosphate on absorption of phosphorus by banana cv. Robusta under high density planting. Vegetos (Springer), 27(1): 68-75. (NAAS journal ratings: 6.04).
- Kalaivanan, D and A.N. Ganeshamurthy, 2016. Mechanisms of Heavy Metal Toxicity in Plants. In: Abiotic Stress Physiology of Horticultural Crops by N.K.S. Rao et al. (eds.). Springer India 2016. Pp. 85-102. DOI 10.1007/978-81-322-2725-0_5.
- Kalaivanan, D., Selvakumar, G. and Rathinakumari, A. C., 2022. Soilless cultivation to secure the vegetable demand of urban and peri-urban population. In: M. Turan et al. (eds.), Recent Research and Advances in Soilless Culture, Intech Open, London. 10.5772/intechopen.102695.
- Kalaivanan, D and P.L. Saroj, 2017. Weed Management in Cashew. In: Cashew: Improvement, Production and Processing (Ed. P.L.Saroj), First Edition Published by Indian Council of Agricultural Research. Pp.265-276.
- Kalaivanan, D and T.R. Rupa, 2017. Organic Cultivation of Cashew. In: Cashew: Improvement, Production and Processing (Ed. P.L.Saroj), First Edition Published by Indian Council of Agricultural Research. Pp.295-321.
- Adiga, J. D. and D. Kalaivanan. 2013. Cashew. In: Fruit Production in India (Ed: W.S. Dhillon) published by Narendra Publishing House, 1417 KishanDutt Street, New Delhi 110 006, India. Pp: 145-166.
- Ganeshamurthy, A.N, Kalaivanan, D and G.C. Satisha, 2016. Management of Fruit Crops in Acid Soils of India. In: Innovations in Horticultural Sciences (Ed: K.V. Peter), First Edition published by New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, India, Pp: 539-558.
- Ganeshamurthy, A.N, Kalaivanan, D and G.C. Satisha, 2016. Management of Vegetable Crops in Acid Soils of India. In: Innovations in Horticultural Sciences (Ed: K.V. Peter), First Edition published by New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, India, Pp: 559-584.
- Adiga, J. D. and D. Kalaivanan, 2017. Cashew Based Cropping System. In Cashew: Improvement, Production and Processing (Ed. P.L.Saroj), First Edition. Pub., Astral International Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, pp. 277-298.
- Adiga, J. D. and D. Kalaivanan, 2017. Rootstocks. In Cashew: Improvement, Production and Processing (Ed. P.L.Saroj), First Edition. Pub., Astral International Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, pp. 207-216.
- Rupa, T.R. and D. Kalaivanan, 2017. Nutrition Management. In: The Cashew (Ed. P.L.Saroj), First Edition. Pub., DKMA, ICAR, New Delhi. Pp.152-169.
- Ganeshamurthy, A.N., T.R. Rupa, D. Kalaivanan and T.K. Radha, 2017. Nitrogen Management Paradigm in Horticulture Systems in India. In: The Indian Nitrogen Assessment (edited by Yash P. Abrol, Tapan K. Adhya, Viney P. Aneja, Nandula Raghuram, Himanshu Pathak, Umesh Kulshrestha, Chhemendra Sharma and Bijay Singh), First Edition. Pub., Elsevier. Pp.133-147. ISBN 9780128118368.
- Ganeshamurthy A.N., Kalaivanan D., Rajendiran S. (2020) Carbon Sequestration Potential of Perennial Horticultural Crops in Indian Tropics. In: Ghosh P., Mahanta S., Mandal D., Mandal B., Ramakrishnan S. (eds) Carbon Management in Tropical and Sub-Tropical Terrestrial Systems. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-9628-1_20. pp 333-348.
- Dinakara Adiga, J and D. Kalaivanan, 2021. Tea. In: Production Technology of Temperate Fruit and Plantation Crops (edited by P.K. Yadav). New India Publishing Agency (NIPA), New Delhi, India.
- Dinakara Adiga, J., D. Balasubramanian and D. Kalaivanan, 2022. Cashew. In: Plantation Crops of India (edited by WS Dhillon). Narendra Publishing House, New Delhi, India. ISBN: 978-93-91063-83-2. Pp: 88-134.
- Dinakara Adiga, J. and D. Kalaivanan, 2022. Tea. In: Plantation Crops of India (edited by WS Dhillon). Narendra Publishing House, New Delhi, India. ISBN: 978-93-91063-83-2. Pp: 398-429.
Awards & Recognitions:
- Received Dhiru Morarji Memorial Award from the Fertilizer Association of India, New Delhi.
- Recognized with Soil Scientist Award - 2018 by Scire Science in the International Conference of SciCon series on Research Interventions and Advancements in Life Science (RIAL) - 2018 held from 1st to 3rd August 2018 at Pune, Maharashtra, India.
- Received Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Life Time Achievement National Award for the achievements in the field of Teaching, Research & Publications during 2018
- Recognized as Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) with approval of AERB, BARC, Mumbai
- Received BRNS research fellowship for Ph.D programme.
- Received Rajiv Gandhi Merit Scholarship for M.Sc degree programme
- Received Publons Peer Review Awards during 2018 from Web of Science.
- Received “Young Scientist Award - 2019” during SciCon Series 3rd International Conference on In-Sync with Next-Generation Biosciences (INGB) organized by Scire Science at Goa, India during November 6-8, 2019.
- Received Adarsh Vidya Saraswati Rashtriya Purasker Award during 2020 from Glacier Journal Research Foundation, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
- Received “Best Researcher Award 2021” in the International Scientist Awards on Engineering, Science and Medicine held during 06 & 07 February 2021 in Coimbatore, India, organized by VDGOOD Professional Association.
- Received first prize in oral presentation on ‘Nutrient Scheduling and Substrate Effects on Growth, Yield and Quality of Chilli Hybrid Arka Meghana under Open and Polyhouse Soilless Culture’ presented under the theme ‘Novel Technologies in Horticulture and Agriculture Engineering’ in the National Seminar on Empowerment of Rural Youth with Novel Agricultural Technologies (ERYNAT 2022) held during 28-29th January 2022 at Agricultural College, Bapatla, AP, India.
- Received Outstanding Researcher Award in Soil Science for the contribution and achievement in the discipline of Agricultural Sciences from Venus International Foundations, Chennai during 8th Annual Science and Technology Meet held at Chennai on 2nd July 2022.
- Received lead speaker award and recognized with ‘Distinguished Scientist Award in Soil Science 2022’ for the contribution in soil science during the 'National Conference on Horticulture: Enhancing Productivity and Mitigating Major Challenges' being jointly organized by the Department of Horticulture, Kalasalingam School of Agriculture and Horticulture, KARE with RVS Padmavathy College of Horticulture (TNAU) at Srivilliputtur, Tamil Nadu during 10-11th November 2022.
- Received ‘Exemplary Community Service Award 2022-2023’ from Kerala Forest and Wildlife Department and Periyar Tiger Reserve, Thekkady, Government of Kerala for the service rendered to scheduled tribal communities.
Vayalappadi Post, Kunnam TK, Perambalur Dt, Tamil Nadu-621 716
Address for Communication:
#307, Gurukrupa Residency, Mathru Layout, 6th Cross, Yelahanka New Town. Bengaluru -560065.
080-23086100 Extn 317