Division of Flower and Medicinal Crops
Floriculture and Medicinal Crops
(During the Period of 2019-2023)
- Two novel pink coloured tuberose lines IIHR-20-1-24 (IC-0642159) & IIHR-20-2-10 (IC-0642162) with high colour intensity and seed setting ability were developed as pre breeding lines
- Developed trait specific tuberose lines in single type for garland and concrete extraction, double type for cut flower and dwarf types for pot culture.
- Five tuberose lines resistant to Alternaria leaf blight disease was developed
- Standardized in vitro direct regeneration and mutagenesis protocol for tuberose
- Tuberose variety Arka Prajwal was registered with PPV and FRA, New Delhi.
- Five gladiolus lines were developed with novel colour, high flower yield, multiplication efficiency and resistance to Fusarium wilt resistance.
- Collected, conserved, characterized and documented the germplasm of tuberose, gladiolus and carnation.
Varieties / Technologies Developed:
- Tuberose variety Arka Keerthana suitable for garland was developed high flower yield and concrete content
- Involved in development of three chrysanthemum varieties Arka Anirudh, Arka Daval and Arka Manohar suitable for pot culture.
- Elite genetic stock of tuberose (2 nos.), China aster (1 no.) and chrysanthemum (3 nos.) were registered with NBPGR, New Delhi for novel traits.
(Best 10/High Impact)
- Barman, D, Bharathi, T.U., R.P.Medhi.2012. Effect of media and nutrition on growth and flowering of Cymbidium hybrid H.C.Aurora. Indian Journal of Horticulture, Volume: 69, Issue: 3, 395-398. September.
- S. K. Naik, D. Barman, R. Devadas and Bharathi, T.U. .2013. Evaluation of Panchgavya as source of nutrient for Cymbidium orchids. African Journal of Agricultural Research. Vol. 8(46), pp. 5728-5732, 27 November, 2013.
- Bhargav, V., Rajiv Kumar, K.S. Shivashankara, T. Manjunatha Rao, M.V. Dhananjaya, Anuradha Sane, Bharathi, T.U., R. Venugopalan and T.K. Roy. 2017. Diversity for flavonoids profile in China aster [Callistephuschinensis (L.) Nees.] genotypes. Industrial Crops and Products, 111: 513-519.
- Gandhi, D.P., Bharathi, T.U., R.Umamaheswari and S.Prathibha. 2019. Response of tuberose genotypes to root knot nematode, Meloidogyneincognita: Biochemical, histological and nutritional characterization of host-pathogen interaction. Journal of Environmental Biology.40(6): 1151-1158.
- Bharathi T.U., Meenakshi Srinivas, Umamaheswari R. and Priti Sonavane. 2021.Performance evaluation of double type tuberose IIHR-4 (IC-0633777)
for flower yield, quality and biotic stress response. Journal of Horticultural Sciences16(2) : 234-240
- Bhargav V., Rajiv Kumar, K.S. Shivashankara, Bharathi, T. U. ,T. M. Rao, Anuradha Sane, T.K. Roy, D.V.Sudhakar Rao. 2022.Anthocyanin profile diversity in China aster (Callistephus chinensis (L.) Nees) genotypes. South African Journal of Botany.151: 107-113
- Bhargav, V., Kumar, R., Sane, A., Rao, T. M., Bharathi, T. U., Shankara, K. S., & Reddy, D. L. (2021). Molecular characterization of China aster (Callistephus chinensis (L.) Nees) genotypes using SSR markers, Israel Journal of Plant Sciences, 68(4): 287-296.
- Bhargav, V Rajiv Kumar, T Manjunatha Rao and Bharathi, T. U. 2019. Genetic variability, character association and path coefficient analysis in China aster (Callistephus chinensis).Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 89 (10): 1643–8.
- Rosalind Lallawmzuali, Bharathi, T. U., S. A. Nair, Dhananjaya M.V., B. S. Kulkarni, Munikrishnappa P.M. and Kirthishree S. 2023. Palynological studies and their implication in the compatibility of tuberose cultivars. 2023. Indian J. Hortic. 80(1), 57-63.
- Monica, K.R., Bharathi,T.U., Rajiv Kumar, Ambreen Taj, Preeti Sonavane, and G.B. Narabenchi. (2022). Studies on intervarietal hybridization, seed germination and seedling evaluation of gladiolus. J. Plant Development Sciences. 14(11): 933-937.
- Bharathi., T.U. 2019. Carnation. In: Production Technology of Flower Crops- A Hand Book (English). (Ed. T. Manjunatha Rao & Rajiv Kumar). ICAR-IIHR, Bengaluru. pp.7-14. ISBN 978-81-942095-1-5.
- Bharathi, T.U. 2019. Tuberose. In: Production Technology of Flower Crops- A Hand Book (English). (Ed. T. Manjunatha Rao and Rajiv Kumar). ICAR-IIHR, Bengaluru. pp.73-79. ISBN 978-81-942095-1-5.
- Bharathi, T.U. and Sujatha A. Nair. 2020. Progress and challenges for breeding climate resilient flower varieties. In: Horticulture in the vanguard of climate change. Garden Glory Human empowerment co-operative limited. (Ed. S. Rameshkumar et al.). Garden Glory Human Empowerment Co-operative ltd. Jammu, pp. 679-685. ISBN 978-93-5407-228-4,
- Bharathi, T.U. L. P. Yadav, R. G. Maity, T.K. Bose and D. Mukherjee. (2021). Tuberose. In: Commercial Flowers Vol.2. (Ed. Aswath, C., T. K. Bose, Reeta Bhatia, K. Dutta, Rajiv Kumar and T. N. Saha). Daya Publishing House, New Delhi,pp.357-440. ISBN 978-93-90435-54-8. pp. 1-691.
- Bharathi, T.U. (2022). Genetic resources and its management in bulbous ornamental crops: Case study of Tuberose and Gladiolus. E-Compendium of Lectures on Winter School on 'Horticultural biodiversity conservation for livelihood and nutritional security in the era of anthropocene and climate change' Eds. (Rajashekaran PE, Vincent L, Rohini MR and Anushma PL), Published by Director, ICARIIHR, Bengaluru, pp. 132. ISBN 978-93- 5508-005-9.
Awards & Recognitions:
- Recognized as ‘Outstanding Floriculturist 2019’ by the Scire Science in the International Conference of SciCon Series on In Sync with Next Generation Biosciences at Goa, November 6 to 8, 2019.
- Received ‘Horticultural Scientist Award – 2022’ from Dr. B. Vasantharaj David Foundation Excellence Awards at Chennai on October 01, 2022.
Address for Communication:
Flat No.307, Guru Krupa Residency, 6th Cross, Maruthi Layout, Yelahanka New Town, Bengaluru-560 065
080-23086100 Extn 265