Dr. Narayana C K
Principal Scientist (Hort.) & I/c Head
Division/Section: Division of Post Harvest Technology and Agricultural Engineering
Specialization: Fruit and Vegetable Preservation
Qualification: M.Sc (Hort.), Ph.D
Standardized critical temperatures for storage of mango, guava, papaya, banana. Standardized post harvest protocols for export of banana. Developed 35 banana based value added products & commercialized many of them. Studied the biochemical basis of chilling injury in mango, guava and banana & developed ameliorative treatments. Estimated biomass and crop residues in cabbage, cauliflower, chilies and amaranth. Developed fortified food products using processing / other wastes. Standardized procedure for producing alcohol from banana peels and other processing wastes.
1. Narayana, C.K, Pal, R.K., Roy,S.K. 1996. Effect of pre-storage treatments and temperature regimes on shelf life and respiratory behaviour of ripe Baneshan mango. Journal of Food Science and Technology. Vol.33(1):79-82.
2. Narayana, C.K. and Mustaffa, M.M.2007.Influence of maturity on shelf life and quality changes in banana during storage under ambient conditions.Indian Journal of Horticulture Vol.64(1):12-16.
3. Narayana,C.K., Mustaffa, M.M. and Sathiamoorthy, S.2005.Chilling injury and quality changes in Pachanadan ( Pome, AAB group) banana during storage at low temperature. Indian Journal of Horticulture.Vol.62(3):241-243.
4. Narayana, C.K., Mustaffa, M.M. and Sathiamoorthy, S.2002.Effect of packaging and storage on shelf life and quality of banana cv.Karpuravalli. Indian Journal of Horticulture . Vol.59(2):113-117.
5. Narayana, C.K., Gorakh Singh, and Singh,A.K. 1999. Cellulase enzyme activity and abscission in guava (Psidium guajava L.) as influenced by different crop regulators. Annals of Agricultural Research. Vol.20(1):51-55.
6. Narayana, C.K. and Singh, B.P. 1996. Chilling injury and its effect on ripening, biochemical and enzymatic changes in mango. Indian Journal of Horticulture. Vol.53(3);166-170.
7. Narayana, C.K. and Maini, S.B.1989. Effect of Pre-treatments on the quality of sweet turnip pickle. Journal of Food Science and Technology. Vol.26(6):351-53.
8. Staver, C.; R.Junkin; W.Flores ; I.Gonzeles ; S.O.S. Akinyemi ; G.Ngoh ; D.Banda ; M.Byabachwezi ; C.K.Narayana ; N.Masdek and A.Arganosa. 2010. Musa Processing Business and their contribution to rural development. Acta Horticulturae, No.879.
9. Narayana, C.K., Sathiamoorthy, S. and Evelin Mary, A.2003. Osmotic dehydration of banana and changes in its quality during storage. Beverage and Food World. Vol. 30(6):30-31.
10. Narayana, C.K., Roy, S.K. and Pal, R.K.1991. Use of high molecular weight high density polyethylene films (HM-film) in transit of mango cv.Baneshan. Acta Horticulturae. Vo.291:489-492. Book Chapters: 1. Narayana, C.K. and Michael Pillay. 2010. Postharvest Processed Products from banana. In: Banana Breeding – Progress and Challenges, (Ed) Michael Pillay and Abdou Tenkouana. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL-33487-2782,,USA. 2. Narayana, C.K.; D.V.Sudhakar Rao and Roy, Susanta K. 2012. Mango: Production, Postharvest Physiology, Storage and Packaging. In: Tropical and Subtropical Fruits, Processing and Packaging (Ed. M. Siddiq ), John-Wiley Publilshing Co., Ames Iowa 50014-8300, USA. ISBN – 978-0-8138-1142-0. Pp.259-276. 3. Narayana, C.K. 2012. Shelf Life Enhancement of Mango. In: Mango Breeding. (Ed..SudhaG.Valavi, K.Rajamohan, J.N.Govil, K.V.Peter, George Thottappilly). Studium Press, LCC, , Houston, TX 77072. USA.
Technologies developed: 1. Process for producing banana fig, powder, flour, flour based products (biscuits, breads, cakes, chapathis, etc), clarified banana juice, wine, alcohol from banana peels, health drinks, functional and baby foods using banana flou
1. Fellow Horticultural Society of India.
2. Fellow AIPUB 3. Dr.J.C. Anand Gold Medal for outstanding contribution and leadership in Post Harvest Technology of Horticultural Crops conferred by HSI.
3. Dr.J.S.Pruthi Award for outstanding contribution in fruit and vegetable processing by Association of Food Scientists and Technologists of India.
4. Best Research -cum- Extension Award by Radio Farmers Association, Trichy.
5. Certificate of Appreciation Jointly by INIBAP (Bioversity, France) & PACARD Philippines for contributions in Banana Research.
6. Joint Secretary ( 3 years) of Association for Improvement, Production and Utililzation of Banana and Plantains, Trichy.
7. Member, Editorial Board, Indian Journal of Horticulture, HSI, New Delhi. Technologies Developed:: 1. Process for producing banana fig, powder, flour, flour based products (biscuits, breads, cakes, chapathis, etc), clarified banana juice, wine, alcohol from banana peels, health drinks, functional and baby foods using banana flour and powder, pickles from banana flower, fruit and stem, fibre from banana, juice blends using banana, pineapple, apple and noni, banana based soups and soup mixes.