- Trichoderma harzianum is a popular biocontrol agent used extensively for control of phytopathogenic fungi.
- Chitinases are potentially useful transgenes for the production of disease-resistant plants.
- Hence, Trichoderma harzianum chitinase gene construct has been developed using the chitinase gene isolated from local isolates of T.harzianum
Products and By- products
- Trichoderma endochitinases are more effective in controlling fungi than the chitinases found in plants, bacteria or in other fungi.
- The efficacy of the chitinase gene construct developed was demonstrated in vitro through pathogen (Alternaria alternate) inhibition studies and in vivo through enhanced resistance to Alternaria blight in detached tobacco leaves of plants transformed with the gene construct made
Target segment /End User Profile
- Biotechnology Industry/ Research Labs in Institutes, Universities
- The availability of gene constructs can kickstart the R & D projects. It can also save considerable amount of time needed for developing and testing of gene constructs.
- Biotechnology lab should be in place
Benefit cost ratio
- Suitable alternative when there is absence of resistance source
- Expected to overcome problem of resistance breakdown due to race differences of the pathogen