- Natural multiplication rate of Hippeastrum hybridum is low and hence breeding programmes aimed at generating superior hybrids suffer from the lack of plant material..
- Tissue culture offers a very quick means of augmenting the plant material
Products and By- products
- Protocol for large scale propagation of selected pre-release hybrid of Hippeastrum using bulb scale explants (both single and twin scale) has been standardized.
- Proliferation of shoots could be achieved by subculturing the bulblets generated in the same medium. The same medium facilitated root induction as well.
- Can get disease free planting material.
Target segment /End User Profile
- Tissue culture industry
- Commercial nursery growers
- Despite the increasing demand for cut flowers , the low multiplication rate of hippeastrum restricts its availability as a cut flower and also as a landscape crop.
- The adoption of micropropagation technology is restricted by the non-availability of protocols to small scale entrepreneurs.
- Can be taken up as an additional profitable venture in an existing Tissue Culture Laboratory
Benefit cost ratio
- Disease free quality planting material.