- Male sterile lines for hybrid seed production are very important. However maintaining them is very difficult.
- In view of this, protocol for multiplication of male sterile plants through tissue culture has been developed for two CMS male sterile lines No 3 (IIHR 358) and 4 (IIHR 359) of cauliflower using immature curd & shoot tip explants respectively
Products and By- products
- The CMS lines must be maintained by repeated crossing to a maintainer line that is genetically identical except that it possesses normal cytoplasm and is therefore male-fertile.
- This technology enables you to save land, labour & time ( generations)
- Tissue cultured male sterile plants can be raised without any problems of crossing
Target segment /End User Profile
- Tissue culture and vegetable seed industry
- The importance of male sterile lines for hybrid seed production is very well acknowledged. This technology enables you to save land, labour & time ( generations)
- Can be taken as an adjunct to facilitate breeding programmes in a pre-existing tissue culture facility
Benefit cost ratio